Steven Gerrard has appeared to deny reports that the Saudi Arabian club he manages is thinking about signing Mason Greenwood.
On Instagram, the Al Ettifaq manager shared a screenshot of a Mail Online article about the rumours – and wrote “FAKE NEWS” across the image.
Greenwood is currently looking to revive his football career after it was announced he will not be playing at Manchester United.
A “collaborative” decision between the 21-year-old and Old Trafford was reached after an attempted rape charge was dropped earlier this year.
According to The Sun, the forward is being considered for a £10m-a-year deal at Al Ettifaq, and other Saudi clubs have expressed an interest.
But Gerrard’s post indicates that Greenwood won’t be joining the likes of ex-Liverpool star Jordan Henderson in his squad.
Greenwood was suspended by United in January 2022 over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.
In a video a man, said to be Greenwood, shouts at his alleged victim to “move your f****** legs up”.
The woman replies that she does not want to have sex.
The man responds: “I don’t give a f*** what you want, you little s***.”
Greenwood was charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour in October 2022. He was initially arrested in January that year.
In February 2023, the Crown Prosecution Service said it had a “duty to stop the case” following the “withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light” – and charges were dropped.
The footballer, who has always denied any criminal charges, said in a statement on Monday: “I fully accept I made mistakes… and I take my share of responsibility.”
According to Sky Sports News, Greenwood’s departure from Old Trafford is linked to concerns of a public backlash if he was to return, rather than the findings of an internal investigation.